“Market With no Beam” (Wat Thong Market), Art market made from heart is located in Bangkok.
When talking about an ancient market, in people’s minds, they are thinking of floating market where there are the gathering of various types of food and OTOP products. However, “Market With no Beam” in Baan Bu village is something different. Because of its stylishness, art and identity; people are totally changing the way they look at general ancient markets.
Market With no Beam is as old as almost a hundred years old and located behind Bangkoknoi District Office close by Suwannaram temple. That is why it is also called Wat Thong Market. The reason to be named Market With no Beam is because poles and wooden roof without beams are the only building structure for the market.
Before, this market was considered the trade center in Baan Bu village. Then, the support from various networks and demand of villagers themselves to restore community’s life styles and preserve valuable craftsmanship, heart market was established.
In the market, many types of food and sweet are sold. One thing not to be missed is traditional Thai sweets such as Kanom Rerai, Khanom Buang or Thai crepes, Thai Money Bag or Thai Traditional Spring Rolls, Khanom Thuai or Thai Coconut Milk Custard, Sticky rice with various toppings which are rare to find nowadays. For shoppers, there are many adorable handmade products to choose such as dyed cotton clothes, cloth bags, Ceramic mugs, and natural products made by villagers.
From Market With no Beam, we can go further to visit the one and only place to make Baan Bu’s alloy bowls (rubbed with stone), herb shop where herb is made traditionally into medicine and finally, Suwannaram temple where we can pray in front of “Luang Phaw Prophet” which is the respectful Buddha image in attitude of subduing Mara from Sukhothai Kingdom and visit ancient mural painting within Suwannaram temple’s chapel.
For whoever is interested in, don’t wait and stop by Baan Bu village to check in, eat, travel and do some shopping. The place opens every 1st and 3rd Saturday -Sunday of every month.
Time: Every 1st and 3rd Saturday-Sunday of every month 9.00-14.00 O’ Clock.
- By car
Drive into SOI Charan Sanit Wong 32, the market is located next to Bangkoknoi District Office. You can find parking at High school Suwannaram.
- By Public Transpotaions
- Bus No. 40,42,56,68,79,80,108,175 into Soi Charan Sanit Wong 32 then, walk into Soi. The market is located next to Bangkoknoi District Office.
- Take red minibus written Rod Fai-Suan Pak and stop at Thon Buri railway station then, walk on the left of the station straight to the market.
- Take small minibus written Siriraj – Klongsan, Siriraj -Talad Pool and stop at Thon Buri railway station then, walk on the left of the station straight to the market.
- By Boat
- Take Cross-river ferry across to Siriraj Pier and then, take red minibus written Rod Fai-Suan Pak to Thon Buri railway station then, walk on the left of the station straight to the market.
- Take Chao Phraya Express Boat to Train station (Siriraj Piyamaharajkarun) and then, take read minibus written Rod Fai (train) to Thon Buri railway station then, walk on the left of the station straight to the market.
3,886 total views, 7 views today